In this episode, Harry discusses landlords laws and how landlords can avoid trouble.
– What is the Landlord Tenant Board and what is their authority.
– When it’s up to rent, if the tenant pays, the tenant stays.
– Applications of the board.
– Too many people believe that rental properties are a passive business.
– How landlords can learn the rules of the game.
– The RTA is not logical and common sense won’t get you by.
– How to evict a tenant properly.
– You need to start the process quickly, it takes at least 3 months.
– Landlords need to go to the board with their hands clean or eviction becomes difficult.
– How to collect money owing when the tenant no longer lives in your unit.
– Screen tenants carefully and do credit checks. Due diligence prior to the tenancy is important.
– How to create a lease that works.
Harry Fine is committed to providing excellent Small Claims Court, Landlord & Tenant Board and Human Rights Tribunal expertise to individuals and businesses, big and small, across the Greater Toronto area.
The majority of our landlord and tenant business is consultation and strategic, and we then will refer your file to a colleague to handle the actual Landlord and Tenant Board proceedings based on our discussions. Harry Fine Paralegal Services uses Kathleen Lovett at Landlord Solutions for all its paralegal referals.
For Small Claims Court or the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, we ensure that you get a just and fair result whether you are the person bringing the claim, or defending against it. If you are the plaintiff, once we obtain a judgement, we can help you enforce it through garnishment and other mechanisms.
While our main areas for Small Claims are in Toronto, Brampton and Newmarket, we have colleagues across the province who we can call on to assist as needed.
We are in full compliance with the Law Society’s Rules regarding Paralegal regulation, license P01351 and possessing the required errors and omissions insurance. Harry is a proud member and director of the Ontario Paralegal Association.