In this episode, Barry discusses the legal aspects around real estate investing and how to protect yourself. He also talk about various creative real estate strategies that are working for Canadian investors.
– Most real estate lawyers are doing the basic mom and pop deals. When you’re buying investment property you need a lawyer who knows about real estate investment law and likes it.
– It’s important to have a knowledgeable real estate investment lawyer on the other side.
– Creative real estate takes more time. Give yourself time…sellers don’t have to give you an extension.
– It is a mistake to dive into creative real estate deals without experience or consultation.
– Five creative real estate investing strategies that are working for Canadians.
– Find a Canadian education group that can tell you what is working in Canada.
– As easy as they are to talk about they are not on every corner. You have to look hard for creative real estate opportunities.
– The market dictates which strategy works the best.
– How to buy in a sellers market when there is lot of pressure to make unconditional offers.
– making your conditions subjective rather than objective.
Barry C. McGuire (BA, LLB) is senior counsel at RMLO Law LLP in Edmonton, Canada. He is also your guide to thinking about Alberta real estate like an Investor Lawyer. With over 40 years of experience as an attorney, Barry’s practice emphasizes buying and selling houses, homes, condos, townhouses, apartments, acreages, and more. He is co-author of the national bestseller, 97 Tips For Canadian Real Estate Investors and is a sought-after speaker for investment, real estate, and law groups.
When he’s not practising law or coaching investors, Barry is an avid gardener, hockey player, family man, and bon vivant. He lives in Edmonton with his wife Donna, who provides administrative oversight of this website. Barry loves spending time with his niece Adrianna, the daughter he never had. His son Colin is a researcher in ethnomusicology, but he is also the content manager for this website.